Monday, February 8, 2016

894 Reading Notes: Spinuzzi

Tracing Genres through Organizations

Image from Amazon

Spinuzzi’s book, Tracing Genres through Organizations, has been a valuable contribution to genre studies in general but is also helpful as a demonstration of how activity theory can usefully inform genre analyses.   The book has had a decent level of uptake, as judged by the 337 citations listed on Google Scholar.  A quick scan of the results shows uptake in a number of areas—activity theory, genre theory, design studies, technical communication, organizational management, information management, composition, and others. This is not surprising since Spinuzzi’s primary purpose in the book is to examine genre as a mediating artifact in a complex activity system that connects multiple workplaces. Through the genre tracing methodology, Spinuzzi is able to examine the ways in which technical solutions are employed by different users over time and where problems can emerge.  Spinuzzi argues that many design studies fall short in two ways.  First, in many cases, researchers look for a single trouble sport as a basis for engineering new solutions. Second, too often designers are seen as heroes who swoop in with a one-size-fits-all-solution.  Spinuzzi argues that a genre tracing methodology can reveal how destabilizations do not result from a single trouble spot and yet do often have points of connection.  He also believes that genre tracing reveals ways that workers invent solutions of their own to manage problems.  By paying attention to this, not only can designers build in better solutions with insights from worker innovations, but they can also offer more fluid, less centralized systems to begin with, systems that incorporate workers’ ability to innovate.
To be precise, genre tracing does not track at a single genre, but rather looks at a genre ecology.  In Spinuzzi’s study, the core artifact is a genre system for recording and tracking accident statistics in Iowa, but it is supplemented by other more loosely-linked genres, such as the accident reports that feed into the system and ad hoc genres such as sticky notes and photocopies that individual workers used to bridge weaknesses in the main system.  The “tracing” in the title of the book is carried out in two different ways in the book.  First, Spinuzzi traces the evolution of the genre system over time, from collections of paper reports stored in files to a mainframe collection system through a MS-DOS database to a database with a GIS interface.  At each level of development, he also looks at three levels of scope—the macroscopic, the mesoscopic and the microscopic.  By employing different methodologies—observation, videotaping and coding, stimulated recall, interviews and so on—Spinuzzi was able to examine how the systems interacted and how workers interacted with the system in general and moment by moment interactions with the technology.  By comparing these levels, he identified contradictions (i.e. challenges at the macroscopic level such as different purposes for using a software), discoordination (challenges at the mesoscopic level such as misperceiving how a genre functions), and breakdowns (microscopic problems such as selecting an inappropriate pull-down menu), may draw on some of the same underlying realities or may have unintended effects on each other. 
Through the study, Spinuzzi was able to demonstrate that genre tracing is a productive, multi-pronged methodology.  I got the impression that genre tracing must entail significant time and effort for researchers.  However, the results appear to offer valuable insights that ought to be far-reaching for stakeholders in a complex activity system like many organizational settings.


Reading Spinuzzi

Previously I wrote about the experience of reading Foucault.  Reading Spinuzzi was a very different experience, most obviously because the book is very accessible.  Spinuzzi explains his theory clearly, he uses plenty of examples, and he moves forward systematically.  To be fair, the book is much more concrete than Foucault.  Spinuzzi is making more of a methodological argument and less of a theoretical one.  But for me, reading Spinuzzi was interesting in a different way.  At some point in my reading of Spinuzzi, I realized that I was, in part, reading through the genre in my hand to the genre that a sense lurked behind it, namely, Spinuzzi’s doctoral dissertation.  Because neither the cover blurb nor the preface stated that the book was a rewriting of Spinuzzi’s dissertation, I wasn’t certain that this was the case, but I suspected it.  As someone who expects to be starting dissertation research in less than a year, I found myself reading about each element of his methodology as something that I might potentially appropriate.  I sensed strategic decisions, discussions with mentors, and IRB paperwork.  It was interesting to read the book on two levels.  Incidentally, I did later I get corroboration that the book is a reworking of Spinuzzi’s dissertation from two places, his blog and an interview that he did.

Expanding the definition of genre

In a previous discussion, I considered Miller’s (1984) definition of genre as “a typification of rhetorical action” (p. 163), and Schryer’s (1993) concept of genres as “stabilized-for-now or stabilized-enough sites of social and ideological action” (p. 208).  Miller and Schryer emphasize the rhetorical action that calls on genres to accomplish things in the world while acknowledging the typified nature of genre as bearing the traces of historical actions.  Spinuzzi’s (2003) definition of genre also notes the recurrent and typified nature of genres.  For example, he calls a genre “the product or material residue of problem solving” that “provides a sort of social memory” (p. 115). But he emphasizes another aspect of genre, its role in mediating activity.  “Genre,” he says, “can be seen as both the product (object) and the mediator of repeated activity” (p. 115, italics in original).  It is the mediating quality of genres that provides the essential building block for the genre tracing methodology.  It is what makes genres connecting nodes in a genre network, sites of action in the genre ecology.  
Incidentally, talking about network versus ecology reminds me that Spinuzzi has a very interesting discussion on his blog of how he came up with the idea of "ecology" rather than "network" to describe what he was seeing when he was doing this research.

How Spinuzzi Empowered Me

Interestingly, Spinuzzi’s book gave me two specific ways I might use the book or its ideas to improve practice at my institution.  Dr. DePew’s Online Writing Instruction course was the first ODU course that revealed to me how superior a course website can be over a learning management system (LMS) approach to course management and communication.  Additional courses using this approach—including this one, Theories of Network—have further convinced me. After the OWI course, I went to our Moodle support technician on campus and asked him about using a course website approach.  He pointed out that the history department was doing so through the university website, and I looked into their practice but discovered that they apparently had issues keeping these pages updated to the level needed for practical course management.  In consequence, I went back to Moodle.  However, Spinuzzi’s discussion of open systems (OS) approaches inspired me to go back to the support technician—maybe with the book in my hand—to explore ways that we might open our system to more dynamic interaction—whether through Moodle or another solution.  Our tech guy is one of the good guys.  He is cheerful, prompt and responsive.  I believe he would be open to innovation.  I made a list of things that websites allow that Moodle does not currently allow as a way of opening the conversation.  What might result from this, I don’t know, but I can thank Spinuzzi for inspiring me to open the dialogue.
The other way that Spinuzzi’s book empowered me came from the discussion of the Texas Tech English department website.  As it happens, about two days ago, I discovered that the ESL information on our English department site is extravagantly out-of-date. Since that is a program that I coordinate, I sent an email to the other ESL teacher and the department chair about the problem. It didn’t even occur to me that I might be able to directly make the changes.  But even before finishing my reading of Spinuzzi’s discussion of the “brochureware” approach of the Texas Tech site (p. 209), it struck me, “Hey! I don’t have to be powerless here.  Why can’t I get permission to access and update the site myself?”  As far as I know, none of my colleagues have tried to manage the site.  We depend on computer support people and perhaps the department’s office manager, if I’m not mistaken.  But I once developed a website back in 2001 or 2002 when things were truly clunky, so I imagine I can learn what it takes to make the changes that we faculty might need to make in our small department, and I imagine that everyone would welcome having another person who knows how to do this.  As I read through the rest of Spinuzzi’s example, I also felt that the announcement mechanism would be a good innovation for our department. While this is not something that I could develop personally, it might be possible to get it built in to our site.  I know it would be productive since we have had some challenges with communicating events in the past.  Again, whatever happens, I believe that going back to my department and asking about how we manage our site and how we might manage it better will probably be a productive conversation.

References

Miller, C. R. (1984.)  Genre as social action.  Quarterly Journal of Speech, 70(2), 151-167.  Retrieved from http://www4.ncsu.edu/~crmiller/Publications/MillerQJS84.pdf
Schryer, C. F. (1993). Records as genre. Written Communication, 10(2), 200-234. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/85535463?accountid=12967
Spinuzzi, C. (2003). Tracing genres through organizations: A sociocultural approach to information design. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press. 

No comments:

Post a Comment