Monday, March 28, 2016

894 Proposal Round Two


When I originally proposed my object of study, I chose to examine a genre situated within an academic discipline because I am interested in looking at how disciplinarity constructs discourse and knowledge.  I am also interested in genre theory.  Therefore, I proposed to examine the genre of the academic interview. In other words, I have been considering published interviews of scholars, normally by another disciplinary practitioner and typically featured in a disciplinary publication, such as a professional journal.  When I started, I saw this as situated within the disciplinary matrix and thus, an artifact within a network.  Since working with several theories, I am now inclined to view the genre as a mediating node.  That is to say, I have not changed how I see the genre situated in a network, but I have fine-tuned my understanding of how it functions between other elements within the disciplinary matrix, or network.  (I don’t know it I am conceptualizing the technology correctly, but “router” seems like a possible metaphor.)
As I noted in my original proposal, I hope to explore disciplinarity and discourse in my dissertation.  I have been planning to examine assignment genres because I am interested in how disciplinary identities are constructed.  I imagined that assignment genres would not be practical for this course, so I chose to look at another academic genre that I thought would be important for arguing disciplinary values, namely, the academic interview. 


Why examination of the interview genre would be important within English studies can be argued from several angles.  Trivially, investigation of various genres remains a fairly robust research area within rhetoric and not much has been done on academic interviews, a fact that I learned in preparation for the second case study.  But beyond shining a light on yet one more genre, the study of academic genres adds value for increasing our understanding of how disciplinary values are inculcated.  Charles Bazerman, David Russell, John Swales, Christine Casanave, Paul Prior and a number of other scholars have looked at related questions.  Often this is part of an English for Specific Purposes research program or writing across the curriculum (WAC) initiatives.
As I have said, I started with the assumption that the interview is situated within a network.  Part of the reason for that is that I did have some exposure to Syverson and to the genre theorists, both of whom have a somewhat ecological understanding of writing—at least an understanding of the rhetorical situation.  I was also influenced by Bakhtin’s ideas about discourse and intertextuality, so it seemed axiomatic to me that there was a genealogy of ideas implicit in every interview. 
One thing I am less sure about now compared with my original proposal is that I then believed that the interview genre does not do boundary work because it is internal to the discipline.  I imagine that the impetus to do boundary work is lessened compared with some of the genres I have looked at in the past, such as the departmental website, but I do think disciplinary practitioners might argue for the inclusion of new research objects or make forays into other disciplines.  Scholars who are interviewed are often innovative thinkers who are probably even more likely than the average disciplinary practitioner to argue that neglected or new areas, fresh methodologies, and interdisciplinary connections ought to be explored within the discipline, and thus redraw the boundaries.  I might add, here, that I have not explored how—or whether—network conceptualizations might be compatible with discussions of boundary work.

Original proposal

I would like to examine interviews of key figures within discourse studies, rhetoric, and related fields as a genre that engages disciplinary discourse, and would probably be productively engaged through network theories, both because of its dialogic nature and because of its connections to concepts and influences within (or outside of) a field.
My goal for my dissertation is to explore disciplinary discourse and identity, probably through the lens of assignment genres.  In other words, I intend to examine how professors create classroom genres designed to mentor students into thinking as professionals within their disciplines.  For the last few semesters I have been exploring disciplinary discourse in various ways. I have particularly been interested in boundary-work, in addition to acculturation and identity. For example, several semesters ago I looked at three landmark documents in oceanography presented to the National Academy of Science specifically to lay out how oceanography should position itself as a discipline and what it could accomplish by establishing its boundaries in this way. Last semester I looked at how "new media" or "digital media" are being disciplined as new departments or within English and communication/journalism departments by looking at the boundary-work done by program introduction pages on departmental websites.  Because it is not practical to look directly at assignment genres this semester or to interview faculty about how they design assignment genres, both of which would require IRB approval, I propose to examine interviews (in professional peer-reviewed journals or similar sources).  An interview does not exactly do boundary-work since it works within a discipline for disciplinary practitioners, but I still think it offers an interesting way to look at genealogical connections within disciplines, connections between concepts, and ways that disciplines may be appropriating from other discourses.  It also can give me a chance to hear from key theorists whose ideas I might want to explore for my theoretical framework for my dissertation. This would be a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment